MICHAEL E. BLANCK
Title: Mechanical Engineer
Phone: ***-***-****Email Address:****@***.***
B.S., Mechanical Engineering, University of Cincinnati (BSME)
My experience includes project management, engineering , design, validation and commissioning of process equipment, plumbing, HVAC, utility systems and fire protection in the pharmaceutical, chemical, food, corn wet milling industries and Bldg. Mechanicals for public schools, universities, hospitals, office space, churches, dormitories, mercantile and natatoriums. I also have Refinery Experience and knowledgeOf API Stds.
C&I Engineering: (Contract) 2008 to 2009
Mechanical Lead Engineer on Flare System Up Grade Project for Marathon Refinery.
• Responsible for developing spec.’s and data sheets for RFQ’s on tanks,Pumps and heat exchangers. Technical bid tab evaluation and maintainedan up dated equipment list.• Developed Mechanical Basis of Design, Spec’s, Codes and Standards.• Created scope of work for different units in this project for Pre-Tar, Tarand Post Tar for FEED estimate and Detail Engineering.• Developed pipe stress protocol for modeling Relief Valves to determineWhat type of pipe support and anchor to use.• Performed insulation calculations to determine insulation thickness requiredfor heat exchangers, tanks, pumps and piping to be steam traced and insulated.• Coordinated information with Process, Plant Design, Power & Controls, Civil,Structural and Architectural.
Mechanical Lead Engineer on a Flare Instrumentation Project for Marathon Refinery.
• Responsible for developing spec.’s for piping, nozzles and full port valves forInstalling instrument probes in a spool piece for measuring mass flow of gasbeing burned at the flare tip.• Developed RFQ’s packages and technical bid tab evaluation on the above items• Coordinated information with Process, Plant Design, Power & Controls, CivilStructural and Architectural to model flare header layout modifications for stressanalysis for supports and anchors.
Mechanical Lead Engineer on crude oil tank farm for Marathon Refinery.
• Responsible for developing spec.’s on automating manual gate valves on the outlet of crude oil storage tanks. • Developing RFQ package and technical bid tab evaluation on electric actuatorsfor these existing valves.• These actuators where spring loaded, to go full close in the event there was a power failure.
Jacobs Engineering: (Contract to Eli Lilly) 2003 to 2008
Acting as HVAC utilities Bldg. Engineer C and U for project K107. Responsible for helping to create and check design documents for the following HVAC and utility items:
. AHU’s, Urs and Specifications . Dehumidification AHU’s, Urs and Specifications . AF and ID’s . Coordination with Automation Group on QBMS System for HVAC . CAP’s, Urs and Specification . Pressurization Floor Plan . Coordinate with Operations for Red and Green Locations for Air Locks . Review Equipment Shop Dwgs.
Helping to create and checking Piping Spec’s and Utility P&ID’s for thefollowing items: . Chilled Water . Heating Hot Water . Steam & Condensate . Potable & Non-Potable Water . Compressed Air ( CA ) . Fire Protection . Instrument Air ( IA ) . Pharmaceutical Compressed Air ( PCA ) . Equipment Air (EA ) . Water for Bulk Sterile Operation ( WBSO ) . Water for Injection ( WFI ) WFI Still and distribution system . Nitrogen (N2) . Clean Steam Generator and distribution system. Waste Neutralization System . Breathing Air ( BA )
Other Duties: . FAT’s on WFI Still, Clean Steam Generator and HVAC Equipment. . Working with Pharmadule to insure lessons learned on K103 project where not repeated on K107 project.. Reviewed change orders requests by Pharmadule, including associated dollars with these changes. . Coordinating with QC on UR’s and Specifications . Attended meetings and conference calls with Lilly Engineers and Contractors . Start up Coordinator and Validation on Utility Systems and HVAC. . Validation included, FAT, IQ, OQ, PQ, and knowledge of GMP and FDA requirements.
Fluor Daniel: ( Contract) 2002 to 2003
• Mechanical Lead on Wyeth Bio Tech Project located in St.Louis. Building addition for manufacturing, office space and cafeteria. Over see HVAC design, cost estimate, deliverable schedule. • Attended weekly project meetings for coordination with other disciplines and client meetings at percent completion of deliverable packages.
Jacobs Engineering: 1998 to 2002
• Mechanical Engineer on the design of Kellogg’s Tower #3 project at Omaha, NE to increase product production to 120 lbs./min of “Fruit Loop” pellets.• Mechanical Lead on E/F for American Home Products BioTech Project, Genetics Institute, MEP, Phase IV, suites C/D/E/F, located in Andover MA. Over see HVAC, plumbing and fire protection design, deliverable schedule, TPS man-hour Form and MTO cost estimate form. • Also attend weekly project meetings and matrix monthly meetings and coordinate and check Suites C/D/E/F and all discipline composite drawings for interferences above ceilings, shafts and penthouse mechanical room. • I spent a year in the field at this job site in Boston Mass. working with Jacobs Construction Group and Contractors answering RFI’s for HVAC and Plumbing. Checking HVAC installation against AFD’s and Contractors installation shop drawings.• Senior HVAC Design Engineer for Eli Lilly and Company, T-133, New Research Laboratory Building Expansion located in Lafayette, Indiana. Responsible for engineering and designing of mechanical room layout, which included air-• handling units, exhaust fans and skid-mounted hot water re-heat unit for VAV boxes.
Kirkland Commissioning Services: ( 6 Month Contract) 1998 to1998
• Start-Up Engineer for Anadarko/Sonatrach Algeria HBNS 1 Project. The project was 60,000 barrels per day of crude oil from wells in the desert with gas reinjection compressor and two gas turbine generators, 19 mega watts each .• Also did start-up and commissioning of pumps, vessels control valves, air compressors with dryers, nitrogen compressor, API storage tank and fire system pumps for foam and water. • Prepared commissioning manuals and performance documents for 36 different systems. • Helped with the installation and start-up of HVAC systems for Operations Building, Lab Building, Security Building, Maine Switch Gear Building and two remote Switch Gear Buildings.
Belcan Technical Services: ( Contract)
• Start-Up Engineer for Procter & Gamble Olean Plant. Responsibilities included start-up and commissioning of pumps, vessels, heat exchangers, control valves, flow meters, etc., using hand-held instruments and TDS Honeywell Control Station.
Flour Daniel: ( Contract)
• Lead Building Mechanical Engineer for Procter & Gamble Coffee Plants. Project included HVAC, plumbing and fire protection. Spent 2 weeks in the field doing takeoff of building mechanical systems to determine renovation of these systems to accommodate process needs on five floors and the roof. • Designed relief ducts, roof curbs and counter flashings through the roof for rupture disks around roasting machines for three different coffee plant installations. • Estimated man hours, cost estimates, wrote conceptual design basis, definition design basis, execution plan and specifications. ZBA: ( Contract )
Mechanical Engineer/HVAC for University of Louisville. • Project included chilled water study and field survey of each building interface. • Developed flow diagram, site utility plan, ran hydraulic program water net to determine central system performance, secondary pumping and distribution line size changes and cost estimate.• Mechanical Engineer/HVAC for University of Kentucky. Determined type of filter to be used as a side stream filter for central plant chilled water return system.• Developed working drawings and specifications and cost estimate.
Mechanical Engineer/HVAC for Army Base in Fairbanks, Alaska. • Field survey of existing water makeup and feed water system for coal-fired steam boilers used for heating the base and running steam turbines for generating electricity for the base.• Developed plan view and isometric view of the treatment system, including piping, valves, filters, vessels and pumps for replacement bid package.
Mechanical Engineer/HVAC for University of Iowa. • Field survey of six-story office and classroom building to develop a study and report. • The study and report included upgrading HVAC systems to meet current outside air requirements and tying into central chilled water loop.
Mechanical Engineer/HVAC for a rocket engine manufacturer. • Field survey of HVAC systems in testing building. • Developed demolition drawings and prepared load calculations for sizing new HVAC units, ductwork, grilles, controls, cost estimate and government specifications for bid package. • Other duties included shop drawing review, air-balance reports and closeout of the project. • Started up ammonia system used in test cells for rocket engines.
Mechanical Engineer/HVAC for a public transportation company. • Field survey to design HVAC systems for classroom, welding area, bus exhaust pipe system and training area for bus maintenance. • Developed HVAC drawings, specifications and cost estimate for bid package. • Other duties included shop drawing review, site visits, punch list, review of air balance report and closeout of the project.
Mechanical Engineer/HVAC for University of Indiana. • Field survey of existing HVAC systems in two-story building to design fan coil units mounted above the ceiling and tied into existing chilled water system in the building. • Developed bid package, which included chilled water flow diagram, fan coil units, ductwork, diffusers, grilles, controls, specifications and cost estimate.
Vamosi Associates, Inc.:
• Mechanical Project Engineer/Manager responsible for engineering design of systems and components for HVAC, plumbing, fire protection and site utilities for new and renovated projects.
• Prepared specifications and related documents, reviewed shop drawings, construction field inspection and start-up. • Prepared cost estimates and reviewed bid packages. • Other duties included project coordination between client and project team members. • Projects included industrial, commercial and institutional projects ranging from $1MM to $58MM. U.C. Design and Construction:
• Project Engineer responsible for engineering design of systems and components for HVAC, plumbing and fire protection for renovation projects. • Prepared specifications and cost estimates and reviewed shop drawings and bid packages. • Other duties included project coordination between client and project team members. • Projects ranged from $200,000 to $20MM.
O’Conner and Engle Associates:
• Project Manager responsible for supervision of mechanical design personnel. Duties included project coordination between client and project team members. Also prepared specifications and related bid documents. • Other duties included construction inspection and start-up for HVAC, plumbing and fire protection systems for new and renovated projected. • Projects included industrial, commercial and institutional ranging from $200,000 to $8MM.
• Project Engineer for National Distillers Products Co. • Responsibilities included project design of process equipment for anhydrous alcohol production for gasohol and grain neutral spirits for production of gin.
• Prepared specifications and bid documents as well as site inspection and start-up. Projects ranged from $500,000 to $3MM.
Modern Process Design, Inc.:
• Project Engineer responsible for project design of process equipment for corn wet milling plant expansion for production of corn sweeteners. • Prepared specifications, bid documents, construction inspection and start-up.
• Prepared engineering study for a foundry to increase production by 30 percent, which included HVAC upgrade, sand distribution system and cost estimate. • Projects ranged from $500,000 to $18MM.
A.M. Kinney, Inc.:
• Project Engineer responsible for project design of process equipment for chemical pharmaceutical and corn wet milling industries .• Prepared P & ID’s, layout drawings and specifications. • Projects ranged from $10MM to $50MM.
• WordPerfect• Water Net• Trane Trace Load Program-Trane Certified • Carrier HAP Certified Load Program. Computer design skills • Windows 2000 professional• Excel Spreadsheets• Cost Estimating and Scheduling Programs. Lotus Notes
REFERENCES• Jeff Vickers ( Lilly ) 1-***-***-****• Randy Plankird ( RW Plankird Architect) 1-***-***-****• Kevin Crabtree ( C&I Engineering) ***-***-****• Hossein Oshrieh ( C&I Engineering) ***-***-****• Chris Luther ( Jacobs engineering ) ***-***-****